Monday, January 10, 2011

Fabric Scrap Flowers

My friend Laura asked if I could post a tutorial on how I made my Fabric Scrap Flowers. First I want to give credit to Jenaye from Jenaye's Junque. She taught a class at Scrapbooks Etc where she made this same flower, but with ribbon. I wish I had a photo, because it was darling! I wanted to try it out with fabric and see how it turned out. So here are the steps & you can decided whether you use fabric strips or ribbon.


First you will need some fabric scraps. After making this flower I think it looks best if you use between 4-6 different patterns. A thin piece of twill between a yard and a yard and a half long(depends on how full you want your flower.) And Fabri-Tac or a glue gun.
 I just recently heard of Fabri-Tac and I LOVE this stuff! It's so easy to use and works better than the hot glue gun.
 Next you are going to make little cuts about 5/8" on one side, so you can rip the fabric in to strips. It doesn't matter what size scraps you use, but depending on how long it is you will need to make fewer or more cuts.
 Here are what my strips looked like.
 You'll want to do the same with all your fabric scraps...cut & rip into strips.
 Then you'll want to cut the strips down to 2 1/2" pieces. Altogether you'll want about 50-60 pieces of fabric for the flower. So that too depends on how many different patterns you are using.
 Frey Check or heat the ends of your twill. Then starting on the right you'll put a line of glue with your Fabri-Tac.
 Then start putting your fabric down.
 Continue until you have reached the end(I'm not quite there in the photo.)
 Then you'll turn it over so you're looking at the wrong side of the fabric. You'll be starting from the left side this time.
 Fold the strips back up to the top of the twill and glue down with Fabri-Tac.
 Continue folding them all up. Then you're going to start rolling it. Make about a 5 inch line of glue...
 ...then start rolling it up!
 I like to keep my thumb along the back side to help keep it straight.
 This is what the back side should look like when you're done rolling.
 Here's a front view. I don't like how it turned out only using 2 different patterns. It seemed like the colors are all next to each other and not spread out enough, but you get the idea.
 Now you'll cover the back with a piece of felt and add a pin or alligator clip.
I tried making another flower with about 7 or 8 different patterns and it too seemed like the colors all ended up so close. So you might have to play around with yours but I'm thinking 4-6 different patterns would be a good idea.
Let me know if that wasn't clear or you have any more questions. And I'd love to see some that you make if you decide to make some.

5 comments:

Alli Blue said...

Those are dang flippin' cute! I want to make them! YEAH! Another crafty craft! Jason will be sooo happy!

angiedunn said...

ahh! so cute laura!

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,
I have a craft blog called Cute as a Fox Creations. http://cuteasafox.com I really love these flowers, they are so adorable. I would really love it if you would be willing to be a guest on my blog and share this tutorial. You can reply to this comment or email me at cuteasafoxcreations@gmail.com

Thanks!
Ashley

Laura said...

Thank you Laura for the tutorial!! I love it and I have a ton of extra fabric that I can use to make these. I will for sure send you a picture when I make it. Thank you so so much!!!

Laura

Eric(a) said...

These are so cute! I am definitely going to have to make these for some of my babies!!