Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camping & Shaved Ice

Pioneer weekend we went camping with the Juhasz's up in Idaho at Willow Flats. We got there Thursday evening around 7:30. The girls helped me set up the tent while the guys got the fire going for our dinner.
When we got up the next morning we didn't realize that we set up camp in a spot where there wouldn't be shade all day. And even though it was cooler in the evenings & early morning, it was still going to be very hot during the day. We'll plan better next time. The girls got up early each day & play hard. Cambria was pretending that a rock was a phone.They had lots of rocks & dirt to play with, plus we brought some toys from home. They have such big imaginations!
And luckily for us there was a river close by. It did have a pretty fast current & was extremely cold, so we really couldn't go for a good swim. But it was nice to cool off in. And there was a spot that had a bunch of rocks & was only about an inch deep that was perfect for the girls!
We planned to spend quite a bit of time down by the river & were running low on ice. Well, the water was really cold & made the perfect spot to keep our drinks cold. What a great idea!
Dannon thought that he was going to be brave and get in the water all the way. He was really shocked at how cold it was. And then his flip-flop came off...
Phil was kind enough to run down stream after it, but then ended up loosing his balance & falling in. So he got a taste of how cold the water was as well.
Phil & Dannon took turns jumping in the river after that. Amy & I walked across it. The girls played in it. After you got passed the shock & finally went numb it really wasn't that bad. I took over a hundred photos but thought I'd spare you a little. Ryder got to soak up a little sun while it was overcast.
It was nice to sit back & kick my feet up for a little while. I just loved going camping & can't wait until we can go again...I miss it!
For some of the time we even brought our little kiddie pool into the river for something else for the girls to play with. It was kinda funny.
And even though the girls had all the room in the world to run around & play they spent most of the time right by us. This was one of the rare moments when they were off by themselves reading their books & holding their babies. It didn't last long either.
This seriously IS one of the things I love most about camping...
Thanks again Amy & Dannon, it was a lot of fun!
The next week started off a little rough. I had some errands that I wanted to do, but the kids were just not wanting to cooperate. So, I said to heck with that, I'm not going to try lugging them around when they aren't happy. So we stopped and got some shaved ice before heading home.
Her eyes look kinda weird in this photo I just realized, but I'm not going to upload a better one. But she was in love!

1 comment:

* Missy * said...

okay so a couple things...

first you look amazing! I'm so jealous!!

and second, I can't believe you went camping already. I give you big kudos for going camping with with a 2 month old. he must be layed back... elijah was a super fussy baby.